Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Writing about Orlando

I am so inspired about all the blogs I've been reading about the Orlando retreat that just happened this past weekend. Women who parent those kids from the hard places, who deal with trauma, sorrow, guilt, and shame on a daily basis, who choose to do this work - these women found some time for themselves.

I wasn't there - although I wanted to be - but I imagine it was a community of women who laughed, cried, hugged, laughed some more, and then went home to face their challenges with some new tools and maybe even a bit of peace.

I can't wait for our own retreat; much smaller, but hopefully just as beneficial for those of us who are attending.

Every day, you get up and face another day, knowing there may be phone calls from the school, the Ministry, the police. You put on your grown-up face and help your child with that inexplicable anger when inside you want to do anything but. You hug, hold, and heal. You are simply amazing, and you are a gift to the child/children that you help to come back from the trauma.

Their pain wasn't your doing, but their healing likely is. You are one kick-butt mama and I tip my hat to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment