Thursday, March 17, 2011

Connections

This is a copy of a post I wrote for my private blog, but I thought it might be a good one to share here as well.

This line totally grabbed me tonight...

Children from trauma want their parents to think they are alone because it's easier to control and pull someone into their drama if they are alone. Credit here

I think this is why our summer and winter camping trips, our support group, our smaller "girls' night out" and hopefully the retreat help to fight against. We gather, in numbers small and large, to support, to heal, to simply 'be' and that makes all the difference.

Especially when we bring our children and parents together, the magic seems to happen. I'm under no illusions that simply being together will make all the hurt and crap go away. But, we've all seen and felt the magic that occurs when our kids can get together, play, talk, and even go to the deep stuff about their lives - cause others get it. And, we as parents, we can have each others' back when the crap seems much too deep to even fathom getting out of.

I'm so thankful for this network that has evolved over the past few years. I knew, years back when I reached out to start/find a group, that I desperately needed to be connected. I could never have dreamt the importance it has taken. I am blessed - thank you all.

1 comment:

  1. Remember, Orlando started out as nine last year. And yes, it has been good for my children to know I have a whole pack of friends out there who are Mom's of "crazy families like ours". (Their words, not mine.) My bio kids are happy that I'm happy, and it makes them feel not so alone as well. My adopted kiddos are happy too, though they talk about how "tricky" I am after spending time with those other moms. You will have an amazing time, and we can't wait to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete