Monday, February 21, 2011

The Power of "Away"

This weekend, four families that all share a common bond of adoption, got together for a winter getaway. It was so, so powerful for all involved. At one point, I overheard a couple of my kids talking to another child about adoption in the same tone as they might ask "So, what's your favourite toy?". It was as if we re-wrote the definition of 'normal' for just a couple of days.

As parents, we had the opportunity to just watch our children interact with others without having to worry about explaining their offbeat behaviours. We got to see other parents and how they handle things. We shared meals as families, and as one large group as well.

I can't overstate how empowering it was for me personally to just be away and to just feel normal. It seems like it has been months since I felt that way; maybe since the last time we all went camping together last summer.

My husband and I came back refreshed and ready to tackle the next parenting challenge, whatever it may be. It felt so amazing to know that we are not alone. There are days, weeks, and even months when we have felt just that way. Weekends like this (and hopefully the May retreat) reinforce the connection and chase away that isolated feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment